We are a premier music school located in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. We welcome all music students who want to learn to play a string instrument. Our educational philosophy is primarily based on the principles of the Suzuki Method and the foundation of our curriculum is lessons in Suzuki violin, viola, and cello.
SSA welcomes school age string students from all other teaching methods for private instruction, group classes, orchestra, and chamber music.
Our Motto: Everyone Can Learn!
Sycamore Strings Academy partners with the Livermore Valley Performing Arts Center (LVPAC), using the facility at the Bothwell Performing Arts Center in Livermore. SSA also cooperates with the New World Music Academy (NWMA) in Pleasanton and Peace Lutheran Church in Danville. SSA is an approved vendor, providing music instruction to home-schooled students through Connecting Waters Charter School.
SSA’s classes are held primarily in Livermore, Pleasanton, and Danville.
To enroll in our program, start by filling out an Enrollment Form. Because of high demand, students will be admitted on a first come – first served basis, so send your forms in as early as possible.
- Group & individual classes in Suzuki violin, viola, and cello: Available for beginners from ages 3 to 7.
- Note Reading & Music Theory: All students who have reached an appropriate age level and technical ability will get instruction in note reading & music theory.
- Parent Education: For the benefit of parents, an introduction to the Suzuki method is incorporated by the teacher into the first lessons for beginner students.
- Sycamore Junior Chamber Orchestra (SJCO): Provides intermediate students with their first real orchestra experience.
- Sycamore Chamber Orchestra (SCO): for advanced string students.
- Chamber Music Classes: for advanced string students.
— For Continuing Students —
- Private instrumental instruction, designed for school age children. Traditional & Suzuki methods will be applied by our highly trained faculty to best fit each student.
- Orchestra and chamber music classes by audition. Students are not required to take private lessons with SSA to be members of our orchestra or chamber music classes. Students may apply to orchestra or chamber music classes only.
Our very popular Guitar With Christina program is no longer available. Christina Berg is dearly missed by her students, parents, and all those who have worked with her.
In Memory of Christina Berg
- Annual concerts and recitals with student performers are a very important part of our students’ education. Performance is integrated into the annual curriculum as part of the education for everybody, young beginners as well as experienced older students.
- Suzuki students will receive a child-centered, individualized music education as well as experience playing in a group. Parents and students have the opportunity to learn together.
- Our partnership as vendor to Connecting Waters Charter School provides financial support for home school students when studying with SSA.
- Through our partnership with the Livermore-Amador Symphony Association, we help plan LASYO, a summer youth orchestra for musicians ages 11 to 21 which is active in June and July. Göran Berg, SSA director, has been a conductor and music director of the orchestra since its founding in 2009.